open eir is committed to delivering fibre broadband to 1.9 million homes and businesses across Ireland by the end of 2018.
However, while we are doing much more than any operator, approximately 20% of homes and businesses – the vast majority in rural Ireland – will still require access to high speed broadband.
The reason is straightforward – while the cost to roll out rural fibre broadband is high, our density of rural population is one of the lowest in Europe.
Consequently – as in all countries – it is a huge challenge to provide high speed broadband to every home in the country without financial support from Government.
Committed to the NBP
The NBP is a competitive tender between operators to provide service to the remaining un-serviced areas of the country.
Each premise will be guaranteed a minimum broadband speed of 30 megabits per second.
Open eir is fully supportive of the NBP and we have dedicated significant resources to win the contract.
We see the NBP as an enabler in fulfilling our ambition of a connected Ireland.
We believe the fibre rollout we have undertaken to date, our vast technical expertise combined with our unrivalled network infrastructure make us the only credible company capable of delivering a world class rural broadband network.
Already rolling out 1000 megabits in rural Ireland
As you can see in our rollout map we’re already rolling out world class fibre broadband to thousands of homes in rural Ireland, with 300,000 due to be connected by the end of 2018. The speeds we are able to offer are on a par with any city in the world. It is our ambition to continue that rollout under the NBP and go beyond the rural homes marked on the map, so that every home and business in the country can have reliable high speed broadband access.
We believe we are in the best position to deliver on the National Broadband Plan because:
- Communications is our core business.
- We have the most extensive open access fibre network in Ireland – all retail service providers can use the network to offer voice, broadband and TV services to customers.
- We have the national field force to support fibre deployment in rural areas and a network of 1.4 million poles capable of carrying fibre cable into almost every home.
- We have a track record in deploying NGA, 1.6 million homes and businesses already rolled out within our 1.9 million program.
- We have the best understanding of home and business broadband, have the complex systems and processes in place to deliver it, along with the national core and access network architecture to support future evolution.