45,000 homes and businesses in Louth and Meath now have access to high-speed broadband!
25th April 2014: open eir has announced that over 45,000 homes and businesses in the Louth and Meath areas can access high-speed broadband as part of open eir’s €400 million investment programme to upgrade its Open Access telecommunications network for 1.4 million homes and businesses nationwide by 2016 – investment that’s making a huge difference to communities across the country.
33,700 premises in Louth and 12,550 homes and businesses in Meath have now been empowered with next generation broadband with a further 1,175 premises getting access to high-speed broadband by the end of April. When the upgrade is complete in 2016, 95% of homes and businesses in Louth and 75% of premises in Meath will be able to access uncongested high-speed broadband with speeds of up to 100Mb/s.
Eight fibre broadband cabinets are live in Kells, including the Tennis Club, Athboy Road; Headfort Road; Maudlin Street; Headfort Park; Magdalen Court; Gardenrath Road; Kells Business Park and at the rear of Headfort Estate. Together these cabinets enable almost 1,700 homes and businesses in Kells avail of the latest fixed line broadband technology through a range of service providers. [Full details of cabinet locations and areas served listed below.]
In addition to Kells the following areas in Louth and Meath have access to a high speed broadband network – in Meath we have Ashbourne, Bettystown, Kells, Clonee, Curtlough Business Park, Deepforde, Navan and Trim and in Louth we have Ardee, Castletown, Drogheda, Dundalk.
As part of open eir’s investment programme its team is visiting towns across the country to update communities on the benefits that high-speed broadband will bring to homes and businesses. As part of that engagement and to officially launch the Kells upgrade, the team from open eir will be on hand at The Headfort Arms Hotel in Kells at 12.30pm on Friday, 25th April to provide further information on the service.
Carolan Lennon, Managing Director, open eir, the business division of eir responsible for delivering the nationwide Open Access network said: “I’m delighted that our investment programme is now available to over 45,000 premises in Louth and Meath. We’re now halfway through the rollout of a €400 million investment programme that is making a huge difference to local communities with 700,000 premises now able to access this latest technology in just two years. From Buncrana to Bandon and from Wicklow to Westport, we are seeing how it is already benefiting people’s lives. It’s helping businesses move online and capture new markets, it enriches the learning experience for students both in the classroom and at home, facilitates greater teleworking and brings a much broader range of entertainment options into the home with increased music, gaming, film and television services. Kells is the latest area to benefit from Ireland’s largest investment in telecommunications infrastructure and we look forward to providing further information on the new service when the open eir high-speed broadband national roadshow arrives at the Headfort Arms on Friday, 25th April.”
For more information on high-speed broadband services please contact your local telecoms operator or visit fibrerollout.ie
Dearbhaill Rossiter Head of Communications , eir 01 6005284 or 085 1745284
Full details of eight high-speed broadband enabled Cabinets in Kells currently live and the areas served are:
- Tennis Club, Athboy Road, Cortown, Kells. Areas served include: Maple Drive, Balrath Wood, Gardenrath Road, Rockfield Road and Townspark Manor
- Headfort Road, Kells. Areas served include: Headfort Place; Kenlis Place; and Navan Road.
- Maudlin Street, Kells. Areas served include: Carrick Street; Castle Street; John Street and Maudlin Sreet.
- Entrance to Estate at Grand Priory, Headfort Park, Kells. Areas served include: Blackthorn Close; Blackthorn Grove; Grand Priory; Headfort Grove; Headfort Park; Headfort Road and Headfort Woods.
- Magdalen Court, Maudlin Street, Kells. Areas served include: Archdeaconary Glebe; Cakestown Glebe; Cherryhill Avenue; Cherryhill Court; Cherryhill Green; Cherryhill Road; Magdelene Court; Maudlin Road and Stonebridge.
- Junction of Gardenrath Road/Close, Gardenrath Road, Kells. Areas served include Bective Place; Beechlawn Gardenrath; Gardenrath Road; Garenrath Road Upper; Hermitage Glen and Sycamore Avenue
- NCT Centre, Kells Business Park, Virginia Road, Kells. Areas served include: Kells Enterprise Centre; Cavan Road; Kells Business Park and Virginia Road.
- Rear entrance to Headfort Estate, Headfort Road, Kells. Areas served include: Lower Courtyard Headfort Demesne; Main Courtyard Headfort Demesne; Sydenrath and The Orchard Headfort Demesne.